5 Reasons Why Women Are At Increased Risk of Dry Eye
Have you ever wondered why women have a higher incidence of dry eyes? Sure, there are those men out there that suffer as well, but it definitely affects women more often. Below are 5 major reasons why it does.
- Women live longer. Because of this, they are more susceptible to many eye diseases, such as cataracts and macular degeneration as well as dry eyes as they age.
- Hormonal Changes. Pregnancy and menopause are things that men just don’t have to deal with. These fluctuating hormones can mess with the body’s ability to produce proper oils and tears, and can lead to dry eye disease.
- We wear makeup. Women (much more often than men) are known for covering their faces, eyelids, and eyelashes with makeup. This makeup can lead to irritation of the eyes, so make sure to use natural, contact lens compatible makeup for sensitive eyes and skin.
- Autoimmune Disease. Although not all women suffer from one of these, autoimmune diseases (such as rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis, and lupus) cause inflammation in the body that can also contribute to dry eyes.
What can you do about this? Below are a few tips to help you decrease or even eliminate dry eye symptoms!
- Use proper eyelid and eyelash hygiene
- Quit smoking!
- Eat a healthy diet full of omega-3 fatty acids and other healthy fats
- Limit use of computers, iPads, and smartphones
- Exercise at least 20-30 minutes daily
- Take of all that makeup with a natural, organic cleanser
- Wear 100% UV protected, polarized sunglasses
- Know any family medical history (especially eye health history)
Dr. Jenna Zigler
by Dr. Jenna Zigler | Posted in 100% UV protected sunglasses, 5 reasons why, autoimmune disease, Dr. Jenna Zigler, Dr. Travis Zigler, dry eye, dry eye causes, dry eye community, dry eye disease, dry eye symptoms, dry eye syndrome, eye diseases, eye health, eye love, Eye Love Blog, eye love the sun, eye problems, eyelid and eyelash hygiene, fatty acids, Heyedrate, hormonal changes, lid & lash cleanser, makeup, omega 3, Omega 3 supplements, organic cleanser, polarized lenses, tea tree facial cleanser, tea tree oil and women live longer | |
Can You Take Steroid Eye Drops With Glaucoma For Dry Eye?
Dry Eye and Severe Glaucoma Would You Use Steroid Drops for Dry Eye on a Person With Glaucoma? If you know that you’r...
Is Coconut Oil Safe for Your Eyes?
Uses for Coconut Oil: Is it Safe for Dry Eye and Your Eyelids? The skin around my eyes is very dry. Is coconut oil ok...
How to Deal With Stress of Dry Eye
Dry Eye and Stress How do we Continue Living Life Emotionally and Mentally While Dealing with Stress? I think thi...