MISSION: END PREVENTABLE BLINDNESS

The Power of Turmeric in Benefiting Diabetes, Glaucoma, Cataracts, and More

Can Turmeric Help Treat Eye Problems?

Turmeric, a golden spice grown in India, may be a resource to treat eye problems. In India, turmeric is not only used as a spice, but as an herbal remedy for many medical conditions.

Turmeric contains large amounts of Curcumin, which is high in antioxidants. Curcumin helps fight the free radicals that can not only lead to eye diseases, but many other age-related conditions. While Turmeric is thought to have many life-changing properties, it must be noted that clinical trials to establish its usefulness are ongoing and that it has not been approved as of yet by the FDA for use as a medical substance - legally, it’s just another spice.  Turmeric should also be taken with caution. With any herbal supplement, it is best to check with your doctor.  Turmeric can cause issues with some medications, so if you have prescriptions, check with your doctor or pharmacist.

Turmeric in helping with Dry Eye Disease and other Eye Diseases

Eye Diseases Curcumin is said to help

As the population ages we see more and more eye disease.  What a benefit it would be if Curcumin could slow the progress of many of these eye conditions!

• Glaucoma: Glaucoma causes one to slowly lose peripheral vision and can lead to loss of vision if not caught and treated.
  • Retinitis Pigmentosa: This condition is genetic and is untreatable at this time. Research remains in the early stages, but some areas show great promise.
  • Cataracts: These formations are fairly common as we age, and Curcumin research shows signs that the spice could slow their progression.
  • Diabetic Retinopathy: This condition is often brought on by uncontrolled diabetes and can lead to total loss of vision. With more and more people being diagnosed with diabetes, a breakthrough like proven Curcumin treatment is badly needed.
  • AMD or Age-Related Macular Degeneration.  What is AMD, and what does it do? AMD is a degenerative disease that damages the Macula, which is responsible for central vision.  This condition can rob someone of their ability to do daily tasks such as reading, driving, and even leisure activities like watching television.  AMD is the leading cause of blindness in individuals over 65. Some studies using Curcumin, which is high in Vitamin C and E, have shown that these vitamins are lacking in people with AMD.

Research into Turmeric and Curcumin

Dr. Radha Ayyagagari, a professor of ophthalmology at UC San Diego, is well-known and widely regarded in the research of the effects of Turmeric. She is in the process of developing a synthetic Curcumin.  Dr. Ayyagari is actively searching for investors and venture capitalists to fund her research. Studies and trials have shown that Curcumin injections help with many of the diseases mentioned above.

Everyone wants to keep their vision as long as possible, so knowledge of options like Turmeric and the Curcumin it contains is a valuable commodity. Do you have any recipes or fun uses for Turmeric? Let us know if you’ve ever taken a supplement containing it!

One Love,

Dr. Jenna Zigler

We would love for you to join our dry eye community. Click here to join this community and get our free 5-part video series on dry eye treatments, a $15 gift card for our Dry Eye Omega-3 Supplement, a $5 gift card for our Dry Eye Mask, and access to the community on Facebook!

Related Posts

Comments

ashley on December 13 2017 at 10:36AM

Hey PPPIA. Great question. Turmeric is good for both since it has anti inflammatory properties.
One Love,
Ashley
Operations Manager at Eye Love

pppia on December 12 2017 at 07:36AM

Hi, Is turmeric good for dry macular degeneration or just for the wet one? thanks

Dr.Jenna Zigler on March 10 2017 at 11:25AM

Hey Emma,
It sounds like you are on the right track! I would have you follow your doctor’s instructions because they’ve seen your eyes in person. Turmeric is a great anti inflammatory and can be taken in pill form.. Make sure it’s organic. Also, I would suggest taking our oemga-3 supplement and our ocular health formula which follows AREDS 2 guidelines. We use very high quality ingredients. The links to both of those are below.

You can also select our “Subscribe and Save” which gives you 30% off and allows products to automatically be delivered on your schedule. No obligation, modify or cancel your subscription anytime. Hope this helps. Let us know if you have anymore questions!

One Love,

Dr. Jenna Zigler
SeeEO at Eye Love

Emma Ruiz on March 10 2017 at 12:03AM

Hi, I’m 66 years of age. Two years I had cataract surgery, still my vision was cloudy. So I had lazer surgery. My eyes have been extremely sensitive to light that sometime i can’t even keep my eyes opened. I’m also being treated a year ago for glaucoma. Last month the doctor told be I had macular degeneration and prescribed flaxseed vitamins, fish oil and preservision vitamins. I think it say Areds2 on the bottle. I just started taking those. Two weeks ago they plugged my tear duct so my eyes could preserve the moisture longer. I’m going back to see him towards the end of this month. Now a friend told me about turmeric curcumin is good not only for my eyes by for arthritis. I’ve never taken turmeric, and I’m not sure if I can take it or not. I am going to ask my doctor, but I’m tempted to take it because I’ve been told it’s very good and it will help me. I don’t even know if there’s a better quality of tumeric or all the same. I’m very tired of eye drops, sunglasses, and very tired of this annoying condition. I’ve told all the doctors I’ve seen. Now, I’m sticking to this last one and hopefully putting a plug on my tear ducks will help. Again, I’m just very tired of this condition. The doctor says dry eye will cause light sensitivity. I should also mention that I’m a migraine sufferer, and I take prescribed medicine for them. I think I’m basically in fair health. No diabetes, no high blood pressure, no cancer. Excedrin sometimes work and sometimes they don’t. If you can suggest any advice I would very much appreciate it. Thank you.

Dr. Jenna Zigler on March 03 2017 at 10:50AM

Hey Paula,

We always recommend whole foods based supplementation with organic ingredients when possible.
Our Omega-3 Supplement is a great anti-inflammatory that will help out with more than just dry eye, but also other inflammatory diseases. Here is a link to that: https://eyelovethesun.com/collections/dry-eye-syndrome/products/dryeyesupplement
Also use FXDREYE for $15 off your first order!

Here is a good Tumeric Option as well that is available on Amazon: http://amzn.to/2m3ngxO

One Love,

Dr.Jenna Zigler
SeeEO

Pam Malone on March 02 2017 at 08:51PM

About a year ago my aunt told my mother and I that she had started taking Turmeric for arthritis and inflammation. I started talking turmeric 2 turmeric capsules once a day and after only a week I started noticing a big difference in the amount of pain and inflammation in the joints that had been affected. Within a month I was pain free and no longer had any inflammation. Since I’ve gone this long, I’m now considering dropping down to only 1 capsule per day.

Paula on March 02 2017 at 08:01PM

I found your website looking for more information about Xiidra, but then stumbled onto this info. about Turmeric. I was thinking about taking it for an anti-inflammatory. I didn’t know that it could also help with glaucoma. I am on glaucoma watch in one eye at this time. My questions to you is there a certain turmeric quality that I should be looking for, or do I just go to the drugstore and just get any off the shelf?