[0:00] Introduction and discussion on what we will be talking about in this video of omega-3 fatty acids
[0:16] Feeding time for our five Chickens that give us free range eggs. Free range eggs are a good source of omega-3 fatty acids
[0:25] Feeding the chickens ORGANIC broccoli and cauliflower scraps. This is what we snack on during the week.
[0:40] The chickens love to eat our leftover vegetable and fruit scraps. They especially love apples and cookies (whenever we have those).
[0:47] Dr. Jenna Zigler and myself, Dr. Travis Zigler, eat mostly vegetarian. But some other great sources of omega-3 fatty acids are walnuts, hemp seeds, chia seeds, and ground up flax seeds. Whole flax seeds are just fiber
[1:10] If you do eat meat, good sources are salmon, cod liver oil, sardines.
[1:20] If you have any others, list them below or join the discussion on Facebook
[1:26] You can never get enough of omega-3 fatty acids, which is why we recommend eating the above while also taking our supplement. They are supplements for a reason, because they supplement an already healthy diet.
[1:35] With questions or comments put them below!
Good dietary sources of Omega 3 including our 5 little helpers!
Benefits of Omega 3
- Cardiovascular health (by lowering blood pressure, cholesterol, plaque buildup in the arteries, and the chance of having a heart attack or stroke)
- Stabilize blood sugar levels (prevent diabetes)
- Reduce muscle, bone and joint pain by lowering inflammation
- Help balance cholesterol levels
- Improve mood and prevent depression.
- Sharpen the mind and help with concentration and learning
- Boost immunity
- Treat digestive disorders like ulcerative colitis
- Reduce risk for cancer and prevent cancer recurrence
- Improve appearance, especially skin health
Here’s a list of the top 15 omega-3 foods (percentages based on 4,000 milligrams per day of total omega-3s):
2. Salmon Fish Oil
3. Cod Liver Oil
5. Chia Seeds
7. Salmon (wild-caught)
8. Flaxseeds (ground)
10. White Fish
12. Hemp Seeds
15. Egg Yolks (free range, organic)